Lisa Huang (黄丽莎) is a French and Chinese typeface designer specializing in Latin and Hanzi scripts currently based in Nantes, France.
Born in France with Chinese roots, she grew up with two cultures simultaneously in the cosmopolitan environment of Paris and found out the many differences and similarities between French and Chinese ways of life. As a designer today, her practice of typography and typeface design reflects her life experience while keeping a high consideration and comprehension of both writing systems to better connect them.
After graduating with a Master’s degree in Art Direction in Paris, she pursued a specialization in Type Design at Type@Cooper (Cooper Union in New York City, USA) followed by a Master’s degree at TypeMedia (KABK in The Hague, Netherlands). Lisa has experience practicing as a freelance designer and in-house art director, working for clients of various sizes and industries, local and international. Eventually, she settled in as an independent designer, to dedicate more time and freedom to activities related to typography along with her design practice, such as workshops, lectures, teaching, and consulting in type design between Latin and Hanzi scripts, shared in English, French, and Chinese.
Typeface in use: Weekend Grotesque.
Website by Goodthing Studio.
- What is Nüshu?
Talk at TGA 2022
Raabs an der Thaya, Austria
Aug 26, 2022
- Designing with Multiple Unknowns
Online Conference for TDC’s Type Drives Communities
May 7, 2021
- Nüshu, a script created by self-educated women in a remote region of China
Online lecture at Letterform Archive
March 16, 2021
- 字谈字畅 130: 江永城内女书情
Online podcast at TheType.com
July 21, 2020
- Noto Sans 家族迎来女书字体
Online lecture on bilibili直播
July 4, 2020
- Digitization of Nüshu script to join Noto Sans family
Online talk at TypeLab for Typographics 2020
June 20, 2020
- A designer’s responsibility in multiscript identities
Shanghai 上海, China 中国
Dec 6, 2019
WORKSHOPS & CLASSES
- Latin Type Design Revival Workshop
Online workshop with 3type TypeSchool
July 1 to 29, 2022
- Walk through, Blend in, Bend it, Re-invent
Online workshop with Émilie Aurat, Garine Gokceyan and Loraine Furter for Weißensee Kunsthochschule Berlin
June 21 to 30, 2021
- Type School Online with 3type - Advanced
西文字体设计 - (三言）高阶版
June 2 to 12, 2020
- Logotype design from A to 字
Shanghai 上海, China 中国
Dec 7 to 8, 2019
PUBLICATIONS & ARTICLES
- Type classification in CJK: Chinese
Article for Google Fonts Knowledge
- Multi-scripts, Blended Type Family Stories
Article written with Garine Gokceyan, Loraine Furter, Naïma Ben Ayed and Émilie Aurat for FORUM+ magazine
Feb 2022 issue (vol. 29 n.1)
- Consistency Between Design and Culture?
Interview with Gakky Luk in BranD magazine
Issue 55 (2021)
- Noto Sans Nüshu: A script created by women from a remote region enters the Google Fonts Noto Sans family
Article published at Alphabettes blog
- Organic Petals / Wood, Woods, Forest
Typojanchi 2019 Exhibition catalogue
- Jury member for 25 TDC
Typeface Design Competition
Type Directors Club - TDC’s Typography 43